Friday, August 01, 2008

Paula Harrison


A week ago today a dear friend of our family passed away. We all new it was coming, especially in the last week or so. Paula was my parents neighbor from the time I was 3 until I turned 11. Paula was my first "second Mom". I have had many "second Moms", women who have assisted my own mother in raising me. Many of my "second Moms" were women that took me under there wing as I was a long way from my own mother on my mission and such, but Paula was the only "second Mom" next door. I have many memories of Paula, but one that I want to share is that of a time when she comforted me. My parents were gone to the temple and I was in charge of watching my younger siblings. I remember it was dark outside and it seemed really late. It probably wasn't that late, but the time change had recently happened. I called up Paula, I needed help, needed comfort. I asked her if she new where my parents were, and she told me that they were at the temple. I told her that I was worried. She then went on to comfort me, make me feel ok. My parents got home soon after, but I have always remembered that episode. I am very grateful for her as part of my life, and for the wonderful family that the Harrison's are. The last time I saw Paula was about a year and a half ago. She was so excited about my research, and she looked really good. She had come over to my parents to wish my mother a happy birthday. Like all of my memories of her, being my cub scout leader, watching us for two days during my Dads graduation, being there at my mission farewell and homecoming she always seemed to care about showing love to and comforting others. Tomorrow is Paula's funeral, I will not be able to be there, but I just wanted to share some of my feelings here. Heavenly Father has an amazing way of directing the orbits of our lives to touch those of others....and then let us touch the lives of others in return. Below is Paula obituary from the Daily Herald:

Paula Zundel Harrison

Paula Zundel Harrison, age 53, of American Fork, died July 25, 2008 in Salt Lake City, Utah after a courageously fought battle with cancer. Born July 27, 1954 in Logan, Utah the daughter of Eldon Forstner and Maude Cleon Mattson Zundel. She married Stephen Michael Harrison on April 11, 1975 in the Los Angeles Temple. Paula graduated with a bachelor's degree in education from BYU. She was a faithful Latter-day Saint, serving in stake and ward Relief Society, Young Women, and Primary Presidencies. Paula loved travel, camping with her family, gardening, fireworks, decorating, and any activity involving sun and water. She was a gifted teacher with a talent for making everyone feel important and included. Her charity seemed to have no bounds, always thinking of others before herself. Paula was fully committed to her family, giving time, energy, talents, and every necessity to its' betterment. She will be sorely missed by many.

She is survived by her husband, Stephen; three sons and three daughters: Daniel (April) Harrison; Tenille (Mark) Sagers; Adam (Holli) Harrison; Machelle (Kevin) Gear; Stephanie Harrison; Stephen (Stevie) Harrison; six grandchildren, her mother, Maude (granny goose) and four sisters. The family wishes to extend special gratitude to the staff of the Huntsman Cancer Hospital for providing Paula the utmost care and respect.

Funeral services will be held Saturday August 2, 2008 at 11:00 a.m. in the American Fork 26th Ward, 960 North 60 East. Friends may call Friday from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Anderson & Sons Mortuary, 49 East 100 North, Am. Fork and Saturday at the church from 9:45 to 10:45 a.m prior to the services. Interment in the American Fork Cemetery. Online condolences may be sent at andersonmortuary.com

1 comment:

Jenny Bay said...

So it is a really small world. My Mom just called me this morning, she had happened upon your blog and read this entry. It turns out that we know Paula's sister, Pam. She is in our stake and she and my Mom work together in the Stake Young Women's Presidency! My Mom called Pam up and told her about your post and told her the website, and she was really touched to read it. What a small world!