Sunday, August 31, 2008

Go Duke!

Besides going to the ward pig pickin we also got tickets for the Duke football game. It was a pretty cool experience to be able to go and see all of the stuff, and to teach the kids a little bit about football.
We first had to stand in an amazingly long line to get in and get our tickets. I hadn't seen so many people in a long time. Here is a picture of the kids and I waiting in line....
....and here is a picture of everyone else in line behind us. Because we got in late we didn't get a chance to do the bounce houses and stuff, but what we did get was the amazing....
...pink hot dog slaw dogs! I have never seen hot dogs so fluorescent pink in my life! The slaw dogs were pretty good, I guess the best indication of this is the look on....
....Grace's face as she downed hers.
So we finally got into the game, and got our excellent seats on isle 10 right behind the end zone. Here is Kathleen, Benjamin and Lily patiently waiting for the game to start. Today's game was Duke vs. James Madison, and at first I thought we would win it easily, because how hard could it be for a whole football team to beat a guy named James Madison. However, then I learned that James Madison actually had his own football team. Ironically the, mascot for James Madison is the Dukes, so the game was technically Duke vs. the Dukes, and any body knows that the team with more Dukes is the most likely one to win. Anyway, we waited for a while for the game to start....because there was some lightening and such in the area. In fact we waited for 75 minutes of a while, with rain and lightening.
I was afraid that the only action that we were going to see on the field was the Duke Blue Devil mascot pitchforking his own field. So, I made sure I got a picture of it.
Anyway, the people stuck around, and all of a sudden out ran the team with their own little pyrotechnics and then we had a chance to see the game.
Here is the football team doing their pregame aerobics. I only wished they would have done the "We are the Titans" dance intro. That would have been awesome.
Grace even sat and got a good look at the game. We had fun cheering together, and every time the music would play she would get down and dance around. She was pretty cute, even though she was so tired.
Here is the team after their second score, kicking off after scoring right under our noses. That was pretty fun, especially because this obnoxious dude behind us was cheering for James Madison the whole time, he got quiet for a few minutes.
Finally at the end of the half, the team ran off to a bunch of cheers....
...and on came the marching band. They were celebrating the good work that Duke alumni and Coach Krzyzewski had done in the Olympics We left shortly after, a 7pm start time with a 75 minute delay and half of football makes for a pretty late night for tired kids. So, we left after the first half, but Duke in the end won. It was a lot of fun, and even today I learned of some funny news about a parachuter who landed during the game. The lightening and the football was a great combination.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Well all I can say is that you have proven yourselves worthy. You can endure to the (almost) end. I think if Nate and I had gone we would have left about 30 minutes into the wait for the game to start. We sure have a lot of work to do to be like the Tessems!

How were those pancakes?

Jessica said...

Fun! We're going to try and hit up a couple of games at the Y while we live so close. There's just something about eating a hot dog at a college football game that just feels right; although, I've never seen a hot dog quite like that before.

Lindsay said...

I didn't know you guys were going! Brian and I were there with the kids wondering who else might be sitting around. :) I wish we would have bumped into you!

Washburns said...

What I want to know is why Gracie was the only one without a Duke shirt!? And, while we're on the subject, where's mine? ;o)

See you soon!