Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas any more...

After almost nine years of being privy to the traditions of the Bosters, it turns out that there was at least one more tradition that, to date, has eluded me. Apparently, in Adrian, OR there are a lot of really big winds. I had heard of these days and had heard of the Boster tradition of trying to fly. I thought for a while that it may have just been a rumor, that the Bosters would tie sheets to themselves and then jump into wind. Finally, on this trip, I had the opportunity to try out my flying techniques as well. Kathleen was a great instructor of how to properly use the sheets (apparently the way that they are connected to you make all of the difference). The kids and I had a lot of fun doing it, and I have to admit that flying with bed linens is a pretty cool experience. I also have decided that while changing pipes is cool, and that nothing will take the place in my memory of the Christmas Steer-ification of 1999, sheet flying really rises to unique heights.
Kathleen instructing Benjamin and Lily on the intricacies of "sheet flying"
Rebecca showing us her flying form on the trampoline.
Kathleen and Rebecca getting ready to embark.
Me and the kids trying our hands at flying.
So that was our experience in pictures, below you will find two movies of our flying. As usual, our films lack music or sound, so just make a wind sound while you watch and you will have it about right (Gail winds of 85 mph would do fine).


1 comment:

Jenny Bay said...

Man, you guys did all the fun stuff after we left! Gosh, thanks a lot! Hehe, just kidding! But seriously ... sheet flying ... horse riding ... fishing ... looks like so much fun!! We miss you guys, we had so much fun!