
What was your favorite book as a kid? I read a lot as a child, and while I have lots of books that bring great memories to me, the Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis has to be at the top of my list. I remember reading it for the first time, laying in my bed late at night. I think everyone else was probably asleep in the house, and I would be reading at 2 in the morning. I remember the feelings of excitement as things just seemed to work out with the help of Aslan. I remember how much, in the early books, I wondered at the similarity between the Aslan character and Jesus Christ. I loved the story of Eustace getting cleaned by Aslan to extricate himself from the dragon that he had become. I love the image of Edmond walking solemnly with Aslan and being instructed after he had returned from making a huge error by going after the White Witch. Finally, upon reading the Last Battle, I loved the way that C.S. Lewis tied it back to our Saviour. As I read these books, I would notice when someone would quote C.S. Lewis in a conference address. I have since gone on to read a number of his books, the Screwtape Letters, A Grief Observed, The Problem of Pain and Mere Christianity. I have loved reading these books, and have enjoyed sharing his feelings and thoughts about our Saviour. However, even after reading the other books, I still have a special place for the Narnia stories. I have waited, many times impatiently, to begin reading these stories to our children. I have started at least two times before, both times getting not very far. Recently, Benjamin, Lily and I have begun reading the series again. We have now finished the first two books (The Magicians Nephew and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe) and are now about done with The Horse and His Boy. It has been so nice to share with our kids. It is great to see them excited, to hear them ask what will happen next, to plead for just one more chapter. I know I have no pictures, and this is an ongoing enterprise in our home, but I have really enjoyed sharing with our children something that is very dear to me.
1 comment:
That is so neat, we love these books too. I can't wait til we can read books like this to our kids! Love you guys!
Post a Comment