
While we were in Washington D.C. with Melinda and Taylor we took some time to go to the Smithsonian Musuems. We only made it into two of them (three counting the zoo the previous day). We went to the aeronautics museum and natural science museum. We also were able to see the best of the American History museum while we were about. That museum is closed for renovation, but in the mean time these things are on display in the aeronautics museum. The above picture is us heading into the natural science museum.

One of the things that we saw was President George Washingtons military suite. I think it is amazing that they still have it, that it is in such good shape, and also how fashionable it is. I think I want to get something similar to it for my first day of teaching in college.

Louis Armstrongs trumpet was also on show. That was pretty cool. When I was in New Orleans a few years ago I walked to Louis Armstrong park. That was pretty scary. On the way back (we weren't very bright, we went at night) a scary looking guy bet me he could tell me where I got my shoes. I kept walking, but the conversation went like this:
Scary Dude: Bet I know where you got your shoes.
Scared white guy: Hahah, um I need to go
Scary Dude: You got them on yo feet
Scared white guy: Great one (aside to other scared white people)--Run quickly
Just thought I would share that, the trumpet reminded me of it.

Benjamin and Lily got their pictures taken with the real bonafide R2D2 and C3PO. These were my favorite things. They were so much my favorite things that I wanted to get my picture taken there. I also didn't want to look like to big of a dork. So to circumvent that, I made my children get their picture taken there. When I told the kids to go stand there, Lily asked why, because she had no idea who they were. I think I have failed them as a father. They need to know of the force.

We were also able to see some of the original props from the Wizard of Oz. Here are the ruby slippers and the scarecrow costume. Lily was pretty excited when she saw these slippers. I thought it was pretty cool that she remembered them. I think she remembers them from Kathleens dance performance of the Wizard of Oz.
3 comments:
Jeff and Kathleen,
I checked your blog tonight and highly approve of your music selection. (U2's Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses). Nicely done. Awesome. Yahoo.
Awesome! I didn't know they had all that stuff in the Smithsonian. And Jeff, I think you should definitely get a George Washington uniform for your first day of class. It's extremely fashionable.
I cracked up that you thought you'd be a big dork getting your picture with C3PO and R2. Kids are a great cover up aren't they...all though I think I would have been all over my picture with the droids. I did see that Kathleen rented Star Wars from the library. Soon your kids will fight over who gets to stand next to those robots.
Post a Comment