Friday, March 14, 2008

Science nerd humor

As most of you know, I am a scientist. I am a molecular biologist to be exact. I study diabetes with the intent of finding an actual cure for the disease rather than just the band-aid that are insulin injections. Being a scientist, I use quite a few tools to look at cellular fitness, protein content, RNA expression, and mutations in DNA. One of the most used tools in any molecular biologists repertoir is the thermocycler. This is used to heat up and cool down reactions to exact temperatures where an enzyme called a polymerase can replicate nucleic acids (both RNA and DNA, depending on the polymerase that is used). A friend of mine, Reid Nelsen, from my years in Dr. Murray's lab at BYU sent me this video produced by BioRad. BioRad is a big molecular biology company. Selling something like a thermocycler is like selling a very, very, very expensive microwave oven. Everyone needs one but no one ever cares what the brand is. As long as it heats it to the right temperature in the right amount of time it is ok (seriously, I see lots of commercials for stoves, fridges, dish washers, but I never see a microwave oven commercial). So, to make a name for yourself, to "corner the market" you have to do something pretty interesting. Apparently this you tube video was what there marketers thought would work well. With that, I give you the "PCR Song"

5 comments:

Jessica said...

That was HILARIOUS! My favorite line was "PCR...when you need to find out who the Daddy is." LOL!

Scott said...

Very very funny.....for a nerd.

Anonymous said...

.....wow.....yah....woow.

Amy said...

That's pretty funny. Now I know WAY TOO MUCH about thermocyclers and whatnot. Thanks for the science lesson!

Anonymous said...

Wow, we have a following Jeff. Who da thought PCR would be the next big thing, eh?

Awesome blog, btw.