Monday, May 12, 2008

The Tessem's Fathers and Sons

Since we will be out of town for our Stakes Father and Sons camp out, Benjamin and I decided to go camping by ourselves a week early. We went to Falls Lake, and after a short hike in, we were able to pitch our tent and have a very nice camp. Here are a few of the pictures from our camping and hiking at a very beautiful area.

Benjamin and I had fun hiking together. It was very green, and the trees were so big. We also had fun watching the planes fly over us, as this state park is relatively close to the airport. Benjamin kept pointing out how the tree branches were growing out into areas were they could get sunlight.
Here is Benjamin next to our tent. He seems to have picked up a lot of "posing" when the camera is on. He also insisted on wearing the Camel back the first day. I was actually quite impressed, he didn't drink all the water as he carried it and didn't complain once about the weight of the pack.
As I tried to get the timer on the camera working properly, I somehow took a picture of us in the elusive "ghost mode". I don't know if every camera has this, or if it is something unique to cameras that also specialize in silent movies like ours does. I have to say, that this picture freaked me out a little bit. I really hoped that it wasn't a bad omen about the outcome of our camp out.
Because of the previous picture, I had to redo it, just to be sure that nothing supernatural had occurred to us. It looks like we turned out OK, no worse for the wear. In fact, just to prove that we had all of our faculties we finished the day with a meal of hot dogs followed by smores with candy corns. Yep, we were OK.
Here is a lovely picture of Benjamin and I after our night of sleeping. I learned at least four things after this. 1) While I frequently made fun of my Dad on camp outs that he had to have a pad to sleep on, I think I have entered the same territory. I didn't take one, but I felt the gravel of the tent site all night long. 2) I really hate sleeping in contacts. In retrospect, I wish that I had fashioned a rudimentary contact case with leaves and saliva, because my eyes really hurt after all of that. 3) There were two things that I, the eagle scout, forgot on this camp out. The first was my contact case, and the second was matches. Again, being the good eagle scout that I am, I used my wits to provide for the fire that we needed. Yep, we jumped into the car and drove to the nearest gas station and bought a lighter. As my mission president taught me, work hard and smart. 4) The final thing that I learned was that Benjamin is not blessed with the same wild bed head that I have. This kid has a lot of hair, but it does not rise to the same altitude that my hair does. Oh, well he will have to get used to it.
This is a picture of part of Falls Lake. I emphasize the word part, this lake is huge. According to the map, this lake goes on forever. We only saw a very little part of it. Anyway, I was struck by the beautiful trees that came right up to the lake. It was pretty awesome, I was impressed.
Benjamin made me put this one in. He is a pretty good shot with the camera. Anyway, here I am.
We found a couple of these really cool bridges on our Saturday morning hike. I thought they were neat. I told Benjamin that they were Troll bridges. He gave me that "Ya right Dad" look that he has perfected over these almost eight years. I spent the rest of the day looking for Trolls to prove to him that I had a clue of what I was talking about. I found mushrooms instead, I think that counts for something.
Here is Benjamin by the lake. As we got to this point he saw a "lake eel or a snake". We spent the better part of an hour looking for it and waiting for it to resurface. I didn't every see it, but his description was pretty cool to listen to.
Finally, I wanted to share this picture. One of the things that we talked about was how this must of been similar to the sacred grove. We had a really good talk about that. Benjamin is a pretty deep thinker, and had some pretty good insights and ideas. This picture reminds me of that discussion that we had, as we celebrated our own fathers and sons and commemorated the restoration of the priesthood that came because Joseph Smith choose to know for himself. I am grateful for that.

6 comments:

Scott said...

Thats looks like one of the best fathers and sons camps ever!

Jessica said...

What a great trip! It looks beautiful! All except for your ghost picture...that is pretty freaky.

That picture that Benjamin took of you looks so much like Scott! I had to do a double-take. I think it's the baseball cap--I can't remember the last time I saw Scott w/out one, lol.

Melinda Jones said...

What a fun trip! You are such a good dad, Jeff, I am sure that Benjamin will always remember that fun camp out. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Jason, Tiffany, and the Crew said...

Jeff, you are such an amazing father...I love how you prioritize your family. I was honestly teary as I read this blog...I just can't believe my big brother is a dad, and a pretty awesome dad at that! What a wonderful experience for you and Benjamin to share. I'm sure he will always remember it! I love you boys! -Tiffany

Jenny Bay said...

Looks like you two had so much fun! We sure love you guys . . . and we are so excited to see you in TWO DAYS!!! When are you guys getting there? Love ya!

Melinda Jones said...

The only time I remember "camping" with my dad is when we would go to father and sons and instead of sleeping in a tent like everyone else, we would sleep in the back of the Suburban with the heater running.

-Taylor