Sunday, December 21, 2008

Return to blogging and to Utah

First of all, let me just state that while Kathleen has become the main blogger in this family 1) I was the first blogger (it literally took me two years to get her to post, go ahead and look) and 2) I still enjoy posting things. We have set up a tentative division of labor, if you did the picture taking you get to do the blogging. Sometimes this doesn't work, but in the case of my trip to Utah to speak at BYU, being the only one who went I get to be the said blogger in the next few posts. Having said that, if you come to read Kathleen's musings, and I either bore or insult you, feel free to skip what I write.

So, I was able to go out to visit Utah early this month to give a seminar in the physiology and developmental biology program of BYU (for why I got to go, I will refer you to my Dad and his amazing ability to fabricate his sons abilities while bragging). The flight out was great, before leaving Raleigh we were informed that the slide had fallen off of the main door to the plane-just a minor problem unless you really like sliding upon a crash landing. Since neither I nor the pilot was planning on doing either of those they let us go (after reattaching the slide of course). The end result of the delay was two fold, first I missed my connecting flight from Atlanta to SLC, and second they put me in first class (a fair trade off, I must say).

The seminar was the next day and went very well, and since it is inappropriate for the speaker to take pictures of the audience, I took pictures of the MARB building after the seminar, so here it is:



I must say that it was a little unnerving to be the speaker in the MARB class room where I sat so many times listening to seminars when I was back at BYU. It went well though, and I had a great time "talking shop" with the professors that I had at BYU, those in the department and also all of the students during dinner. So, with this as the segway for a few other posts, this is why I was in Utah, and the rest are some things that I saw and did.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Once Nate and I got to ride business class all the way from Japan... it was SAWEET!!

Cindy said...

Ok, now I really want to see a speaker pull out his/her camera and take a picture of the audience!

Congrats on the first class thing--that happened to us when we were moving here. They fed us steak for dinner. Really yummy steak. Right after they gave us rolled up heated wash cloths to wipe our hands with!