Sunday, December 28, 2008

Duke Homestead


On December 12, we headed over to the Duke Homestead museum for what I'd heard from Joann was one of her favorite things to do around Christmas. We had a few extra little ones in tow, but I still really enjoyed it. I think the staff were a bit overwhelmed with the number of people who came out, including many from the ward who were fun to see, but they did well with the whole thing. We got free tickets when we entered the museum, telling us which group we would go oustide with, and in the mean time were able to look around the museum and learn lots about Tobacco, and what Durham was built on. The kids got to make snowflakes, and listen to live music being performed, and the theater was dedicated to "It a wonderful life." When it was our turn to go outside, it was a little chilly, but a crystal clear sky, and full moon were well worth the discomfort. Candles in jars lined the route to the old homestead, where a young man read "The Night Before Christmas" by candle light. Then we went to the next room in the house, where all of us in our group sang Silent Night, and Joy to the World with live accompaniment. It was very moving, and I wasn't really expecting that. All the rooms were warmed by open fireplaces, and the kids got to see some corn husk dolls, and have a bit of cider, sugar cookies, and fresh popped popcorn from the open fire once we were outside. We really enjoyed it, and I think the kids did great, especially considering we didn't get home until just before 10:00 pm.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: