Friday, January 08, 2010

10. . . 9 . . . . 8 . . . .7 . . . .


We did our gingerbread houses AFTER Christmas this year, I think I kind of like it that way. Much more relaxed, and made dinner that night so easy. We just made them and ate them, cream cheese frosting, mint and semi-sweet chocolate chips, marshmallows, and gram crackers: dinner of champions, or at least the highly sugared!


New Year's Eve morning, the kids were pretty excited at the prospect of staying up all night long and carried the excitement with them all day! Lily started off the day by losing another tooth. I know this sounds a bit funny, but I think she's even more adorable with one less tooth! She says it's hard to say some words, and I love the off-balanced-ness of her smile. Won't last long . . .



We had an early dinner of Norwegian rice porridge, I do know the name of it, just not how to spell it at the moment, trust me, good stuff. We put parts of a marsipan "gris" or pig in the bottom of the bowl so that everyone gets a taste. I remember the first time I had this dish with the Tessem's, I noticed there was something in the bottom of my bowl, and tried to be very polite about what I thought might have made it mistakenly into my bowl. Turned out I was actually the winner of luck, with an ALMOND at the bottom, who knew? We use marzipan, but the same idea . . .
Oh, and we had smoked salmon on wasa, I think Jeff has been thoroughly spoiled this holiday season, :)


This year, I got the sparkling cider, and tasty treats just for us, so WE were the party (true to Boster form ;) I had to kind of chuckle at the number of times the kids asked if the sparkling cider was really all right to bring into our house. Are you sure mom? Really, we can drink that? It wasn't until Benjamin read for himself the ingredients, and that it was a non-alcoholic beverage that he finally believed me. Good boy. Didn't stop everyone from enjoying their "bubbly." The night was full of movies, gaming, tasty foods, a bit of napping, and ALL of us coming together at midnight to count down, semi-groggily to the new year, before catching some ZZZZZzzzzzzz. So what will the new year bring? Only time will tell . . .

3 comments:

Cindy said...

We did our gingerbread houses afterwards as well--we wanted to wait and do it with Cindy Lynn & Mahon, and we also thought was much more relaxed. And the kids were pretty excited about not needing to wait until Christmas to eat the candy!

Jessica said...

Gingerbread houses for dinner? You've gotta be the funnest Mom ever! And I'm hoping our New Years Eve will be a little bit more like yours next year...Scott was sick so we were all in bed by 9:30. We're such party poopers.

Washburns said...

You are the coolest ever! This year I resolve that someday Myla will get gingerbread houses for dinner!

Happy New Year!