Friday, January 15, 2010

A lesson from story time.

Today, I thought I'd sit down and read stories with Grace for a bit. We started out with "the pink one" as often is the case, and then I picked up one that caught my eye while in the Library. Angles in the Dust, by Margot Theis Raven. It tells a families' story during the Great Depression while living in the Dust Bowl in Oklahoma. I loved the way the story was told, the illustrations, and the quiet power behind the words, especially the line, "Annie, you make me think nothing's so bad that it isn't good for something." I thought the story was beautiful and brought tears to my eyes (hate it when that happens, but it does so I try to work with it.) Grace stuck with me through almost the entire story, but decided to get down and go in the other room when she looked up and saw the tears coming down my cheeks. Maybe, today, the story was more for me, and that's okay too.

2 comments:

Katie said...

She is so cute. Last night while I was taking her to the bathroom I asked her how old she is and she just shrugged and said "Don't know." :)

Kendra said...

So cute! "I'll love you forever" does that to me everytime--especially when I read it to my little boy!