Sunday, January 10, 2010

Soft Pretzel Memories . . .


When Jeff and I were first married, we lived in a tiny one bedroom house, and had late afternoon Church on Sundays. In the morning, on more than one occasion, I made soft pretzels for breakfast that we would top with things like: ham, cream cheese, mustard, jam, although not necessarily all at the same time. I'm not sure if the memory of the pretzels is sweet because of their quality, or because of the newness of our life together. Yesterday, Jeff hinted that he thought having soft pretzels would be a fun thing to do this morning, since once again we are having afternoon church. We all enjoyed different combinations of toppings, and spending time together talking about random things, just shooting the breeze over pretzels. I have to say, breakfast this morning was the highlight of my day! Who knows what next Sunday morning brunch will bring . . .


6 comments:

Katie said...

Don't you LOVE afternoon church! I had the same idea of doing brunch...there just isn't enough time to fit in sleeping in, breakfast AND lunch:).

Jessica said...

Fun! I've never had breakfast soft pretzels before. I think it's time to try it out!

Heather said...

Ooh, that looks so yummy! Will you email me the recipe? I think I'm going to be brave and try to make them!

Jeffery Tessem said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeffery Tessem said...

And now as I look at the posts of the last few “events” I am realizing why the Wii Fit keeps telling me that I am obese. A small price to pay for Kathleen’s awesome cooking (although I could do with out the stupid Fit groaning every time I step on it).

Kathleen said...

Post Script: I had a request for this recipe, so I thought I would put it here, happy baking if you so choose . . .

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

1 T. yeast
1 1/2 c. warm water
1 t. salt
1 T. sugar
4 c. flour
1 egg, beaten
salt (course or fine depending on what you have ;)

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add salt and sugar. Blend in flour. Knead on floured surface until smooth. Roll out and cut into strips. Roll strips into ropes and twist into pretzel-like shapes or initials. Place dough on greased cookie sheet. Brush dough with beaten egg and sprinkle with course salt (or regular salt works too.)
Bake 15 minutes, or "till golden brown. serve warm.