On Saint Patty's Day, we cashed in my Valentine's present from Jeff and headed over to the new Durham Performing Arts Complex to see Topol in "Fiddler on the Roof." If you were slightly int he dark as to who Topol was, I was too, until I read a bit and found out he was the guy who played Teviah on the movie version so many years ago. I have to say, his voice sounds exactly the same as it did I think thirty years ago, is that even possible? He has an amazing range, and very distinct voice, and it was fun to see the performance live and with a wonderful supporting cast. I thought they all did great, and even though we were in the really-high-up-might-even-cause-a-nose-bleed seats, it was possible to see the adlibbing facial expressions. Lots of fun, but I have to say, it was quite annoying that the late-comers were allowed to walk in during the performance, and out when they felt like it. Okay, in my book, that's rude! Maybe it was only allowed in our section, but hey, come on, use some decorum people! Anyway, thanks for the fun datenight, and helping me feel a bit more cultured again. ;) Maybe, someday, we'll make it to a show in New York, but until then, we'll just have to enjoy the Theater in our home-auditorium.
3 comments:
How fun! I think Fiddler on the Roof might have been the first musical I ever saw...but it was certainly not with Topol!
I can't believe they let people come in late. In Raleigh they are SO strict about that. They won't let you go in until there's a natural break. And although it's annoying if you've arrived late, at least you don't annoy hundreds of other people!
That sounds like a lot of fun. Now I must mention that it is really hard to read your blog with the blue font on brown background. I don't expect you to change it for me. I'm devoted enough to your blog to either strain my eyes or highlight the sections I'm reading. But if, you decided to darken it up... or lighten it, whatever, then that would be alright with me.
I think I liked the movie...I do love that song though. Love you guys.
Post a Comment