Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Debating.

This morning, I worked out indoors for about an hour and a half, and then REALLY wanted to go running outside.  You see, I've had some Achilles Tendinitis for the past three weeks or so, and have been doing some exercises to address the problem this last week, and I'm pretty sure it's been helping.  Last night, I heard the weather was supposed to be PERFECT for running today . . . but I didn't want to jump the gun and further injure myself.  As a solution, I carefully laced my shoes, but made sure they were a bit more lose than normal, just to give my heel some breathing room.  I started up my tunes, (the same ones I've had on my mp3 player for probably 3 years now, really should get on that) took a few ginger steps, and tried to ease back off of my forefoot while running, planning on doing no more than three miles.  Well, I got about a tenth of a mile from my home, and noticed the pain in  my heel was just about back to where it was before.  DANGIT! Solution?  I took off my shoes, stuffed my socks into them, put a shoe in each hand, and continued to run for just under a mile.  Amazingly, as soon as I took my shoes off there was no longer any heel pain.  Hmm, that's interesting.  I don't know as I'm really up for full-fledged-barefoot running, and know that the process takes a while to get the muscles used to the extra work in your feet (wouldn't want a repeat of the 1 hour 45 minute barefoot beach run) but on 50 degree mornings, I might just have to venture forth barefoot . . . or get me some snazzy five toe shoes.  Hmmmmm . . . .

No comments: