Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Lessons from the sand . . .

1. There is no limit to the number of floaties one can wear in order to feel comfortable in the surf and sand.   

 2.  Running barefoot on the beach with a full moon-followed by breath-taking sunrise can cause a few blisters, soften calluses, and make it difficult to walk as the day goes on when the length of the run is almost two hours long, and you haven't been running barefoot for a while.  (You know you're loving my blistered feet here, I'm still waiting for my muscles to forgive me.  Apparently, when running with shoes ON, even if you run forward on your foot, you only use a couple foot muscles. . . . without shoes, you use over twenty or something rediculous like that.  I think a few of those feet muscles are a bit angry with me, and determined to make sure I learn my lesson:  Running barefoot, on a sandy surface for your long run is NOT a smart idea when getting ready for a race . . . )

 3.  Exploring new towns, board walks, farmer's markets, and fun buildings is always a good option for a morning. . . 
 4.  Scumpernogs and Muscadine grapes are yummy. (okay, so I already knew that, although I don't think I remembered the name of the Muscadines)
 5.  Playing in the sand is a must!


 6.  Short-hair-windy-family-photos make for some interesting shots, this one's not bad . . . some of the other ones looked like a creature was trying to escape off the top of my head . . . 
7.  Dancing with your daddy is ALWAYS sweet.  (At one point, a potentially soused individual had some crazy moves going on. . . Grace watched closely and tried to do the same moves. . . hm.)


 8.  Full moon+ocean=pretty

 9.  Spending time together as a family at the beach is always a win.


10.  Because it just seems like there should be a ten.  Yay beach feet!

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

How fun! I want to go back - - - I can never get too much of the beach!

Washburns said...

You guys are too darn cute! And very pretty pictures... you take a professional photographer with you? Just kidding! Miss ya'!

Jessica said...

Fun! Which beach was this? Makes me look forward to our next NC beach outing someday!

Kathleen said...

This was Wrightsville, and it's kind of funny you should ask about photographers . . . you know our standard method: find a spot, set the timer, and pretend to act natural . . . this time, a random guy asked if we wanted him to take some of the pictures. We were a little hesitant, but he took about three, and they weren't too bad . . . we just worried he might want to run off with our completely-non-professional-grade-camera . . . maybe someday I'll get a tri-pod!

Mjarrett85 said...

I can't imagine running without shoes! I bet your feet are killing you:) How is the van, hopefully it was just your battery? That's awesome you are doing the half in Richmond! I wanted to run that one, but I am actually doing the one in Charlotte. Since it is my first, i wanted to save some cash:)

Jenny Bay said...

LOVE all the pictures!! Looks like fun - miss you guys!!

Katie said...

I LOVE the third-to-last picture! All of them are beautiful, but that one's my favorite. I don't think I've ever been to Wrightsville, but you inspired me to explore the gulf coast while we're near it. Even though I know it won't be as wonderful as NC beaches:).

birdsays said...

OH how I miss the beaches over there! What fun, beautiful pics guys! Thanks for sharing!