We just returned from spending time with the kids' grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins (for the first time in years, we were able to see all of our immediate family, and at least parts of our extended family)! Quite the whirlwind of a trip, but very satisfying. Generally speaking, we get to see family about once a year, occasionally more (the once a year is usually our family vacation, the more is when they come and see us. You want to see us more frequently? NC is pretty, hint, hint, hint). As this trip got closer and closer on the calendar, I could feel the need for family tugging at my heart strings. I have to say, I was not disappointed, and will hopefully be rejuvenated until the next time we get together . . .
We stayed the first night of our trip with my older brother, Daniel, just north of Salt Lake. He broke us flat-landers (speak for yourself, I was able to hold my own) into the elevation by taking us running up a mountain our first morning, literally. I consider myself to be in pretty good shape, but it didn't take long for my heartbeat to let me know I would NOT be running the entire time. I decided to take up the run-down-the-hills-walk-up-the-steep mentality, which helped, but when we were a decent amount up the hill, and when I say hill, I actually mean mountain, I started to taste fresh peas (visualize whirled peas). . . having not had any since early spring, I thought this might not be the best thing, so I stopped, drank some water, ate a little bit of something and determined that maybe, just maybe, I might need to go back down to the base. Jeff and Daniel were very understanding, and I enjoyed the downhill run much more than the up, I think my brother might have a little bit of mountain goat in him, and wears his five-fingered-running shoes like a pro! (After we got back to the trail head,
Daniel and I kept running home while Kathleen drove the car...needed to make sure I got my miles in).
We finally got to meet little Caroline, who is now about six months old! I LOVED having cousins around for our kiddos to play with. Up until this point, our Grace thought she only had one cousin (Ellie, who visited in May) and was a little confused when we told her she had many cousins (at points she was even angry with the idea that she had other cousins, insisting that Caroline and Abby were not cousins, but were babies). As the trip wore on, she really started to like the idea of other little people her age and size.
We got to watch Joshua do some gymnastics (Joshua wasn't sure about me. I decided to help him remember me by calling him by the Portuguese version of his name, Josué [said Jo sway]. He kept telling me "I am Joshua". Later when we met again, and his parents asked him who I was, he responded "Josué?"-I think that backfired a bit) and check out their excellent garden, nicely done big brother! I can't believe I didn't take any pictures of his hard work, but I really enjoyed seeing how beautiful and functional it all was, oh and the climbing/hanging squash I think were my favorite.
| I'm sure Jared's going to love me for this one ;) |
| That's hand-shucked corn from Nanna and Grandy's Garden |
| Emma Jeanie sporting her new birthday shades, she got to celebrate her 21 birthday with almost all of us there . . . |
![]() |
| Getting ready for the big run . . . there were four of us who completed the entire race: Daniel, Jeff, Spencer and I. Daniel was fast enough that he had time to eat a costco muffin, drink some chocolate milk, maybe eat an orange and still jump in the car and get dropped off to finish the last half lap with me, but it was really sweet of him (Daniel finished with 52 minutes, I took second with 55. I felt pretty good about that, what with the elevation and the 60 lbs I have on him). He stayed right with me and tried to get me to sprint at the end, what a great big brother! Picture courtesy of Jenny |
| Sweet James, he made a little James to ride in his boat. |
| Later in the day, we went to a park with a water feature, and a couple of the kiddos got in, and there was playground equipment to play on, but the best part was when we all played "Ninja Destruction." I had never played this game before, but it was a great riot to play and have people in the park wondering what in the world we were doing. If you don't know what the game is either, just imagine grown-ups pretending to be attacking each other from the wrist to the finger tips while remaining as still as possible and you just about have the visual image (I tell you what, we have some definite Ninja-y genes in this brood). (awesome ninja pictures provided by Benjamin, way to capture the moment bro!) |
| Whenever we try to get the kiddos all in one shot, at least one of them is required to be throwing a fit, this year Grace stepped right up to the plate. At least all the grand kids (except for Grant of course who was only about a week and a half old at this point and with his parents in Rexburg) Well, that's everybody except for Joseph, Megan, and baby Grant who was just a little to little to come down and join us. Picture courtesy of Benjamin Boster. Left: Jonathan, Jenny and James; then Daniel, Joshua, Bethany, Caroline, and Hannah; The singles: Spencer, Rebecca, Jared, Anna, Emma Jeane, Benjamin(in front); Mom and Dad in the middle: Us; Andrew and Sierra. Not too bad, eh? |
| Then, it was off to the Tessem's! |
| I love the look on Grace's face here, I think she really liked the pie! (Mom/Bestemor has a really good friend who makes these pies. I think her name is Marie Calender). |
Monday, Bestefar didn't have work, so we planned a very eventful day . . . which included:
Wheeler farm, and meeting up with a good friend who'd moved west . . .
Temple Square and picnic lunch (we had a nice senior Sister who gave us a tour of the conference center, and then I kept stalking the Sister Missionaries with Brazilian flags on their badges-I have a thing for Brazil-oh, and my stalking was to hear the accents so I could guess which part of the country they were from. Come on people):
Kennecott Copper Mine
And finally: The Myan Restaurant
| Talk about a busy day! I think we all slept really well that night, but it was fun to spend time together and see new places! |
Tuesday, we had lots of fun at the Lindon Water park (Lindon Aquatic Center?!? When did the little town that I grew up in get so big? I kid you not, when I moved there when I was 11, it was all fields, horses and cows. Now, there are houses everywhere. The city building was a trailer, not any more. A lazy river? When I grew up there we had a ditch with leaches in it. You could be lazy in there if you wanted to, but then you would come home with little friends, and you hoped you wouldn't reenact the scene from "Stand by me".). Benjamin and Lily were adventurous on the slide, and everyone enjoyed the lazy river. . .
While we were diligently playing, Scott was being the Grill Master and preparing a scrumptious dinner (My brother is awesome with the grill. He worked for years as a butcher, and definitely acquired my Dads skills with meat. Here are two of his four beer, er soda,-butt chickens. He did two with pineapple teriyaki and two with a more traditional salt and garlic. There were also sausage and blue cheese stuffed onions-so good, but who thinks of these things! Way to go Scott, so much for my diet) !





2 comments:
Your brother's brilliant--I loved those Boster family t-shirts. And that Gracie takes some hilarious pictures!
Hey, Kathleen! I found your blog through Jon and Jenny's and it was fun to "catch up" with your cute family! I can't believe how much Lillie looks like you did as a little girl...so spooky! All of them are adorable and you look amazing, too! Glad you had such a great reunion...your folks have a great posterity and we love all of them!
Post a Comment