Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Snow, we have snow . . .


So, did you hear about the snow that has fallen? Well, a decent amount arrived. I have to admit, I have missed the sound of crunchy snow beneath my boots, hurling the stuff at family members dear, slip-sliding away, and hot cocoa to warm up. That's saying a lot, considering how much snow we had before moving to the South . . .


All the snow really makes me think of Denver and our adventures there. There is a little known secret, that I might just share here. Denver is actually pretty mild in the winter months, okay, not compared to here maybe, but there are many days in the winter that have 60 degree temperatures, and clear, crisp blue skies. . . but, our last year there, the snows came early and heavy, and happened to correspond with the fact that I was ready to have our Grace. The snow just kept falling, piling up and freezing in deep ruts on the side roads, the kind that could take the axle off your car if you weren't careful. Even in a place like Denver, the plows can't handle all the side roads, they need a little help from the good 'ole sunshine, and she wasn't cooperating!

Our car was nice and protected in it's carport outside, but other cars were out in the open, and buried beneath feet of snow. Jeff spent many a moment with a bucket (I know you thought I was going to say shovel, but we were students living in an 800-ish square foot apartment, and didn't think we needed one? I don't know . . . ) scooping the snow in hopes of making sure he could get us to the hospital if need be.

On one day, someone decided to park perpendicular to us, making it very difficult to get out. Never fear, Jeff, somehow, squeezed our tiny car out of it's spot and might have even moved that OTHER car just a bit with our "Forcus" so that we could get out. (I should say that he did try to locate the owner of the OTHER car before making our way out, but was unable to do so). I think he was just a little bit worried? The National Guard was called in at one point to help stranded people out, so we took comfort in the fact that if we really needed to make it to the hospital during one of the blizzards, we'd get there by Hummer :) Jeff doesn't remember this particular instance of bucket shoveling, but I thought it was sweet, and fun to have that memory fresh in my mind. Oh, everything worked out just fine, no Hummer required, wonderful friends (love ya J and K!) stayed with our older two, all was grand, sorry I almost left you hanging didn't I?

Anyway. . .
Saturday morning, Goose came in and asked if it "was Chismas Eve?" I'm pretty sure she'd looked out the window and seen the abundance of snow and figured that must be the reason for it. It has kind of felt that way, spending our days together, just our family, playing games, watching movies, pouncing in the snow . . . just like Christmas :) And yes, that is a boogie board beneath the kiddos, we have no sled. I was trying to figure out what we could pull the kids around on, and then I remembered how well this board does on the sand, and figured we'd give it a try. Works great! We even took it to a hill for FHE on Monday night, and ALL took turns on it, yes I do mean Jeff and I went sledding too, of course.




We are now in our fifth "eve" in-doors so to speak. School has been canceled every day this week so far, yesterday got good and warm there for a bit, but when there are 8-9 inches of snow on the ground, and no plow for the side roads, the sun really needs to shine if it's going to get the roads completely clear AND dry for the school buses. "Normal" life has resumed for much of the area, just not the schools. Every afternoon, the call has come at about 2:00, letting us know that there would be no school the following day. Today, that time came and went, and I thought, hm, maybe the kids have school tomorrow? Wasn't quite sure how I felt about it, just doesn't quite seem right that they should have to go back to school yet, kind of gotten used to the fact that they are home. We keep kidding that school has been canceled for the rest of the year, just for safety reasons, and their faces get all excited. . . but I think we'll all be ready to get back to our "regularly scheduled programs" when the time arises. Until then, we'll do our best to enjoy our weather-imposed-family holiday!






4 comments:

Cindy said...

Ok, I love how happy Grace does *not* look!

Katie said...

Me too, and at first I thought Lilly had blood running down her face, but then I realized it was a piece of hair or something! I thought, boy, Denver must have REALLY toughened those kids up!

Jessica said...

Wow, you guys actually have more snow than we do right now! Actually, we don't have any snow at the moment. And that just cracks me up that those North Carolinians shut down school for 8-9 inches of snow. What a funny change for you guys after Denver.

And brilliant use of a boogie board, I must say. Mush Jeff, mush!

Amy and Clark said...

Snow does make you remember all other snow memories, doesn't it? Hope you continue to have such success finding ways to entertain yourself and the kiddos. I'm about out of ideas for myself!