This morning,
we joined Bestefar {Norwegian for Grandpa}
Scott and Jesse and their girls
and Troy
for some fun cross country skiing on a
lovely
quiet
trail
in the mountains. . .
most of us had tried this before . . .
except for the littlest who were pulled by their Daddies in sleds,
Aunt Jesse {who took it up like a pro, I might add}
And our Grace.
She asked for help with her boots,
and getting into the skis
and then she was set to go.
She did great making her way up the hill.
Even though we fell behind, she was determined and I could tell she was enjoying the experience.
No falls, just a few times when her skis got crossed.
After a few minutes, Troy and Bestefar came back to check on us and lend her some encouragement and advice.
She was doing so well . . . giggles here, breaks for breath when needed . . .
Then, we got to the top of the first hill, and it was time to go
down.
Troy demonstrated how to pizza.
I talked her through using her poles to slow her down if need be.
She gave it a try, and fell a couple times . . .
All of the sudden, it wasn't quite as fun.
I could tell she was frustrated.
I saw the look on her face, and knew that she was getting close to taking off the skis and calling it quits {something I might have threatened to do my first time on skis, but that's a different story}.
I tried to show her how to side step down? Just trying to get her to move forward. . . keep on trying.
Then I heard Bestefar behind me, gently saying, "no, no, she just needs to go down."
I thought, but you don't understand, if she decides she is done or too frustrated, all bets are off?
Nothing I was trying to tell her or explain was working.
I went on ahead a bit, to giver her some space, and see if Jeff could be successful in getting her to try?
Then
I looked back to see Bestefar had put both of his poles in one hand, and asked her,
"can I take your hand?"
He helped her get back on her way, and moving forward, and didn't let go until she was out of the scary part,
and climbing again.
Every
Single
Time
it got hard, he stepped in, took her hand, and helped her move forward.
I loved watching these sweet moments between her and her almost-70-year-old-Nordic-Grandpa.
I couldn't help but think of the symbolism between their situation, and ours with our
Father in Heaven.
We just have to be willing to let Him show us the way . . .
until we are ready
to move forward on our own,
knowing that He will be there for us:
to help,
comfort,
and carry when needed.
***
I will truly cherish the memories from this morning,
spending time with family,
and capturing a few of these moments I hope stay with us,
always.
No comments:
Post a Comment