Friday, May 08, 2015

Lily's Day

After returning from Boston, it was time to jump into Spring!  
Spring at our house, means Lillies. 
Well, one Lily in particular who joined our family TWELVE years ago . . . 
Twelve.
That's a pretty big deal.
At twelve, there are no longer Activity Day outings, or Primary, or Singing time. . . 
There's:  
Young Women's
Girls' Camp
Joint activities
Middle school prep
Preparing for adulthood, while still holding on to childhood dreams and desires.

See, a pretty big deal!  

I've been thinking about this birthday for my first daughter for quite some time. 
I asked her what she wanted to do that day.
Her birthday usually falls around Easter and Spring Break, and General Conference.  
All terrific things, but maybe not so much if they fall on your birthday when it's on a weekend and you can only sit and listen?

So, we thought a compromise was in order. 

 Friday  night we decorated eggs.  (Olivia even had a little bit of color in her water this year)
(and yes, Benjamin only ever uses GREEN)


Bestefar dropped by to bring her a sleeping bag.  PERFECT!  She has needed/wanted one for girls camp, and family camping, and the timing couldn't have been better.  (Jeff thought it would be funny to add a Christmas plate to his back support belt, I think he might have forgot he was still wearing it here ;)



She wanted to go camping for her birthday.  Originally, we were going to go to southern Utah, but apparently Everyone goes to southern Utah, and we wanted to make sure there were facilities for our newly-potty-trained little one, (and let's be honest, nice to have for everyone), and Jeff hadn't been feeling well since getting home.  So . . . we decided to set up camp behind the garden. . . in our own back yard.


S'mores, campfire, outdoor time with the family, sleeping in a tent?  I think everyone was happy . . . and I may or may not have taken Olivia in around midnight since the temperatures were close to 30, and I might have needed to stay inside to keep her company . . . 




When morning arrived, everyone had trickled in, except for Lily.  The kiddos normally want breakfast in bed, and I found out that's what she was waiting for :) Costco chocolate muffins, something I don't know when I bought last, but she was excited about . . . 




Months ago, I asked all of her Aunts and Grandparents on both sides if they wouldn't mind taking a minute to write down their feelings about Young Women's, what they remember themselves, any advice they might have for Lily as she starts this new venture, and, if they were comfortable, their testimonies of Jesus Christ.  I did not read them, but she did.  Every. single. one. that came, and there were many tears.  I know she will cherish them always, and that the kind and loving words sent to our beautiful Lily will be with her always.  So thank you, for taking the time to send them.  




 In the morning hours, we went and saw Cinderella as a family.  Olivia made it through the new Frozen animated short, and a little bit of the show, but the rest of us enjoyed it.  (Benjamin may have conflicting accounts on this matter)
 We did listen to the second session of conference, and then did our family Easter Egg hunt in the back yard. 

 I love that they will all still look for the eggs.
 Perhaps it's only for the candy motivation, but maybe, just maybe, they like it because it's a family tradition?
In the evening, we all went up to Daniel and Bethany's house so the men folk could go to the priesthood session, and the girls and cousins could visit and enjoy each others' company.  This, too, is what Lily wanted to do. We arrived home pretty late, and the big kids joined their Daddy in sleeping in the tent again (thankfully with warmer temperatures this time) and Olivia and I held down the fort inside.
When we lived in Durham, more often than not, we could pick fresh strawberries about the time of her birthday.  And, even though we didn't pick these here just yet, she almost always chooses to have strawberries and whipped cream with some sort of cake on her birthday.

 During spring break, we were able to do family names in the Temple with our Lily.  
Our oldest daughter . . . 
Always trying to be helpful, and take charge, and get things done.
Smart, talented, careful, beautiful
Lily.
I hope you always remember how much you are loved.

***



The week after Easter, Lily and Grace joined Jeff in going to Idaho for Brandt's baptism while Benjamin and I stayed home with Olivia who was running a fever.  Originally, we were going to stay up there and visit through Sunday, but since we didn't all go, Jeff and the girls came home for Sunday meetings.  
They were pretty good sports for pictures this time.  

Even if Olivia was still running a fever, and stayed home with me while everyone else went to meetings.





Isn't Spring Beautiful?

No comments: