Thursday, March 28, 2013

Lion, and tin man, and munchkin . . .

"Momma, I think I want to try out for the Wizard of Oz . . ." said Benjamin in early fall.  "My science teacher says I'm probably too tall, middle schoolers can only be Munchkins"  He really wanted to try out, and I was excited for him, hopeful that he would get a part, but a little bit reserved.  He's at a big school, and the production spans the middle and high school population at an Arts Magnet school.  I remember trying out for a production of the wizard of Oz in the community I lived in when I was in Elementary school.  I don't know if you know this about me, but I'm kind of on the tall end of the spectrum now, and I was then as well.  If memory serves me correctly, I was told I was TOO TALL for the part.  I didn't want to get my hopes up for him, but I also remembered something my Mom always told us when we wanted to do something, or try out for something, "Why wouldn't they pick you?"

Back to Bud, We signed the permission slip for his "application" paperwork, and off he went.  Sure enough, he got the part as the Munchkin Mayor, one of I think two middle school part with company billing! Well of course he did :)  We were so excited for him, and I could tell he was excited, too.  And then I remembered how much time and rehearsals go into dramatic productions, and knew that we would be in for MANY late nights in the future.


Practices began in the fall, and steadily increased in number and duration.  Did I forget to mention that he was also practicing for Science Olympiad and Battle of the Books with before and after school practices depending on the day?  Turned out, he didn't get to compete in Science Olympiad because the competition was on the same day as a performance day, but he still went to practice, and got the t-shirt.  The week of his performances, he was at the school until 10:30 pm just about every night.  But, I'm pretty sure he enjoyed every minute of it!  After one performance he told me, "I like it best when the spotlight is on me . . . then I can't see anyone in the audience!"


We weren't able to see him perform until the Mattinee on Saturday, but he did Such.A.Great.Job!  Totally at home on the stage.  He played the Munchkin mayor in the first half (and if you notice, he is taller than Dorothy, something he pointed out to us early on), and then in the second half he was one of the Ozians.  His speaking parts, and singing parts were clear, precise, and perfect.  When he was an Ozian, all of the sudden he and three other kids were doing a tap number, like a REALLY BIG tap number.  *What"!?!?!




I know he made lots of friends during the production process, and learned a great deal.  He is trying to figure out how he can do strings, chorus, and drama next year.  (He's not in drama this year, but caught the bug I do believe).  After his final performance, he let me know he was sad it was all over . . . one of his teachers told them they would be suffering from PPD: Post Production Depression.  I know he will miss it, but it is nice to get to see this boy a bit more often now.  Sure proud of you! Oh, and don't worry, it's the makeup that makes him look so tired . . . 





1 comment: