Friday, January 11, 2013

Oh Christmas tree . . .

The children had school right up until the Friday before Christmas.  I don't know if that had anything to do with the way I felt going into the season, with concerts, class parties, playing ukelele's as a family for the ward party to Silent Night, (fun but a bit time consuming in prep), caroling, and getting things done.  I just couldn't get the feeling of Christmas to stick the way I thought I it should . . . 

We got together with the Browns for Gingerbread houses and goodies.  Shannon made the building blocks for the houses, (as in she took a gingerbread pattern, and made large gingerbread pieces for each of our kids) and lots of great munchies, and a plethora of candy and frosting to decorate with.  In the process of making the houses, the weight of the toppings caused the walls to fall, so Steve got out his drill and fortified them with toothpicks.  Genius.  

The following evening, we did Gingerbread houses with the Alder's and friends, and my perspective was changed.  

***

We did our traditional Norwegian Christmas Eve dinner and Steve and Shannon joined us.

I think the meat balls this year were the best yet!



 


Lily and Grace wrote letters to Santa, Benjamin didn't this year.  *Small sigh*


Last year, the kiddos flew through presents on Christmas morning.  I really didn't want that to be the case this year, but wasn't really sure how to prevent it. . .

 We began with the acting out of the Christmas story while reading from the scriptures the first time . . . 
 and singing from "The Nativity Song" for the second time:

This is the season beloved of the year.  
Sing a rhyme; Christmas time soon will be here.
Tell the true story of Jesus' birth, 
When, as a baby, he came to the earth.
This is the new star, shining so bright,
Lighting the world on that first Christmas night.
This is the angel proclaiming the birth, 
Singing "Hosanna!" and "Peace on the earth!"
This is the stable, shelter so bare; 
Cattle and oxen first welcomed him there. 
This is the manger, sweet hay for a bed, 
Waiting for Jesus to cradle his head.
These are the shepherds, humble and mild, 
Hast'ning to worship the heavenly child. 
These are the wise men who followed the star, 
Frankincense, gold, and myrrh brought from afar. 
See the sweet mother, Mary so fair, 
Joseph, who guided the donkey with care. 
See the dear baby of Bethlehem, 
Little Lord Jesus, the Savior of men.

We do the story twice, to allow the girls to take turns being Mary.  I imagine in the not-to-distant future, we will be doing this at least three times, but I don't mind.  It's my favorite part really, even if it means I can't sing because I get choked up.  I started to feel it sticking. . .

We decided to have the children make, or prepare gifts for each other.  Benjamin started it off with playing a song for everyone, and did a lovely job.  Lily and Grace created pictures for everyone, and we put them in a binder to remember. 

 Then we took turns watching each other open gifts, and when it started to get a little hectic, Jeff read some very powerful quotes from some great general authorities, and the calm returned.  

 We had a very laid back morning, and Steve stopped by to bring some more surprises.  

Jeff took time off from work, like 10 days off, something he hasn't done in over a year.

We spent time together as a family, just being a family, together.

I really enjoyed Christmas this year, the feeling in our home, the peace of the season, I just had to let it in, and remember . . . 


1 comment:

Amy and Clark said...

What a sweet family Christmas!