Friday, January 20, 2012

To my wonderful Kathleen on your birthday...

Dear Kathleen,

Happy Birthday my sweet wife. I love this picture of you. I have it saved to my computer under the name "Kathleen Smolder". This may sound like a cheesy pickup line, but it is a good thing I am not kindling because that look would burn me up! I wanted to tell you how much I love you and how much I love spending time with you. You are my best friend, and have been since that first day that I saw you. I still remember you walking past me with that harem of guys back at CP (I knew that I couldn't compete with their style, strength or whit, but I did know that I could make myself your home teacher and wear you down with constant first presidency messages). There are few events in my life that I can remember with such complete and vivid recall as the first day that I saw you. Interestingly, most of my other intensely revolve around you. You are such a wonderful part of my life.

I love that I get to spend time with you. I love that I get to come home and be with you at night. I love that you are always positive, always looking for the best, always excited. We have been on quite a few adventures together. I look forward to many more. I don't know how I got so lucky to have a girl that loves to bike, run, rock climb, play basketball, white water raft, camp etc. I also love, that even though you love these active sporty things, you are all girl. I love coming home and seeing that you have painted your toe nails. I think it is cute that you like your Victorian British television shows (if they aren't boring, can you explain to me why you sleep through them?). I love that you can find "cute cloths" and I love the phone calls about the new skirt/blouse/dress/leggings/jeggings (are these for real?) that you have found. I also love that every Sunday, as you get dressed for church, you ask me which outfit looks the best-and invariably go with the one that I didn't select : ).

I look our first three adventures, and I look forward to our fourth little adventure. You are a wonderful mother. I love how you prepare for these little ones to join our family. I love how you spend time with our kids, and how you watch for the things that they excel at, and try to help them with their talents. I love seeing you teach the kids how to do things. Seeing you cook with the kids, play piano with them, all the things that you share with them. Those are just awesome.   I also love how creative you are. I love that you always find ways to learn. Does someone need a quilt? You can do that. Burp rags for a new baby? How about a cover for the car seat? Dresses for the girls? Tie for the boy? Yes, I have been waiting for my crocheted pants or my Norwegian curling team pants, but I know they will come.


Anyway, I love you. I hope you have a great birthday. I look forward to spending it with you. Please know how much I, and Benjamin, and Lily Anne, and Grace, and the little one love you and cherish you and adore you. We hope you have a happy birthday, because due to you, we always have happy days.

Your Jeffery.

......and for anyone other than Kathleen that is reading this, I invite you to leave a message here to wish her a happy birthday, and share with her one of your favorite memories of her. I know she would appreciate it. She loves her friends, and is a wonderful friend to so many.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Dear Kathleen, please teach me how to smolder. And I wish we could get together and rub bellies! Hope your day is amazing. <3

cheesesauce said...

um Kathleen - remember that one time when we were running and then we stopped at that gas station so I could use the "office" to speak with my "broker"? ok anyway that was fun. not the going to my office part but the running part- I LOVED RUNNING WITH YOU and also remember that one time when we went to the dollar store and selected items to stick in our bags and take to the movies? and then we watched the movie that was also fun- and like jeff said I LOVE how you're always positive, because I'm kind of a downer and you make me be more positive so THANK YOU AND I LOVE YOU !!!!! HAPP Y BIRTHDA Y. FROM LIZZ

Lindsay said...

Remember that time you fed me brussels sprouts? I didn't like you that day.

:)

Happy Birthday, Kathleen - and, Jeff, that was beautiful and tear-inducing.

Gonzo's Chicken said...

You know Kathleen, you're one of my heroes - from the other side of the U.S. I remember you running to the church and back for a primary activity once (it totaled about 10 miles if I remember right), and being so impressed I thought to myself, 'Someday, I'm going to be like Kathleen.' Have a great birthday.

Unknown said...

A favorite Kathleen memory is pulling taffy in Kathleen's apartment kitchen at CP! This is the best post ever. I'm making Matt read it. Jeff, you are a Jedi Master at praising your wife!

Washburns said...

Ah Kathleen - she could always make me laugh. In fact, one of her lines is still a joke around the Washburn house - "Its not a tuba."

And she always checks in on us, even it if is just cyber-ly. She's the best.

Happy Birthday! ~K

Katie said...

Jeff, that was so sweet. Especially the part where you said you love that she wears the outfit you didn't pick- could you text that one to Eric?:)

My favorite memory of Kathleen (so far) was the youth dance we chaperoned together- she is THE most fun, hilarious person I know. And well dressed! And you didn't mention she's an AMAZING cook (maybe because you both are, so you think it's normal!_.

Happy Birthday Kathleen!!!!

Heather said...

I know I'm way late, but Happy Birthday Kathleen! Honestly, I've always thought you are so beautiful, and that picture just proves my point. Why can't I take pictures like that? What a cute family and congrats on the upcoming addition!