Sunday, September 11, 2011

Brothers don't shake hands, Brothers gotta HUG!

After spending time with Kathleen's family for Benjamin's wedding, and then returning from our little anniversary trip, we were able to spend some time with my parents and my two brothers. Unfortunately, we weren't able to see Tiffany or Melinda as they were both out of state. Monday morning we went over to Scott and Jessica's church to play basketball. It was the first time that I had played ball with Scott and Troy in years. It was great fun to spend some time playing with them. That was how we spent our non weeding, yard work, house work time growing up. Scott and Troy would play with me and my friends. I used to rule the court with them, but the eventual advantage of playing with older siblings is that you learn to play to their level, and ultimately surpass them. They are both really good now. Thanks for letting me play guys!

After playing ball we all walked to the Provo bakery to get some donuts. Turns out this place is closed on Monday morning, so instead we walked on to the creamery. The kids have heard us frequently talk about Kathleen's time working there, so they really wanted to try the ice cream and the cheese curd. The walk turned out to be a little longer than we expected, but it was fun to talk to Scott and Jessica, and to chase Ellie (and our young ones) around.

Jessica, Scott, Ellie, Lily, Jeff and Grace walking to the creamery. According to our kids, the pioneers never had it so hard. Trekking across Provo to the creamery, an oasis in the wilderness.

Partaking of the creamy goodness (Kathleen looks like she really enjoyed it).

Ellie just being cute.

One of the things the kids asked to do was go skating again. Last year, we were there for Caitlyn's birthday and we went skating. This year, even though the Benedicts didn't come down, we still went. Benjamin did awesome. He took second place in the race skate, only loosing to a teenage boy that looked like he should probably go and get a job. :)

Lily did great as well, both she and Benjamin love to skate. She is also really good at making friends were ever we go, and before we left she had two or three little girls that she was skating around with. She also let me hold her hand every once in a while, which I really appreciated. It makes me glad that the girls still let me be the protective Dad.

It took Grace a little longer to get out there. She was pretty nervous about the rink. She decided to ride a scooter,and after a little bit of coaxing she finally go out on the rink. I helped her around a few times, but finally she informed me "Dad, I can do it myself". Hard words to hear.
Scott and Grace showing off their slick rides

Benjamin the speed demon.

Kath and Grace doing their thing

And off goes Lily...
Our final night there Dad made a shrimp boil. He did sausage, potato, corn, and shrimp. It was awesome. He just poured it all out on the table and we got to take what we want. He was pretty proud of himself, and we were more than happy to oblige him by eating his food. It was wonderful stuff. Thanks for making it Dad!
Midway through the shrimp boil. I was very glad that I ran a decent distance earlier in the day....
We finished the evening by playing ticket to ride. I wanted the game to last longer, but as babies were getting tired and people needed to get up earlier for work and long drives back to Colorado we had to say our good byes. I found myself realizing how much I love and like my brothers. We enjoy the same things, we are similar in so many ways. We have fun being together, and we have fun trying to make Mom and Dad laugh until they can't breath. I remember for the longest time wanting brothers, and then when I finally got them lamenting that our ages were so much different. Now we are spread from Utah, to NY to NC and we don't see each other as much as we wish. I, however, am extremely glad to have these men to call my brothers.
Jeff, Scott and Troy saying good bye.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Aw, come back already!! I know the following week, Scott just kept talking about how much he misses his brothers (he was prematurely missing Troy in NY). I so wish you guys were closer!