Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Some of the food . . .

Remember how I said we spent a whole day collecting little clam creatures?  Well, this is what they looked like after being rinsed thoroughly in the sink . . .(earlier, they were in a bucket with salt water, and had little arm-like extensions that stuck out-reaching.  Don't think about that too much, or you might not think this looks appetizing! ;)
 This, after they have been boiled in water for a bit to make a broth . . . 

And this is the finished soup.  Jeff made this after dinner, and I tried the broth, it really was quite tasty . . . Jeff had the whole soup and said it was great!  Chalk that up to adventurous cooking, I'd say!

 Our last full day in the house was just our little family.  We decided to get some local shrimp and steam it up . . . 
 I'm pretty sure this was my favorite meal the entire trip:  Shrimp and cheese grits, sooooooooo good!


This concoction, was a favorite of the kids while we were there.  Take one box of cake mix (any flavor, in this case I think it was just plain chocolate)  Add 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup water, and one egg.  Mix until right consistency (think cookie) Fold in favorites (here: butterscotch chips) Cook for 12 minutes or so at 350 degrees.  Put a big spoonful of ice cream in the middle (strawberry swirl or something here) and enjoy!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

The little clam creatures have 2 names that I'm aware of--donax or coquina. I'd read of them being used to make soup in the early 1900's, but you're the only people who I know that have done it!