Sunday, January 09, 2011

Moments . . .

Today, we had a great lesson in Relief Society about the Sabbath day and what it means to keep it Holy.  I love how we are given this commandment with the responsibility of finding out what it means for our families individually. . .  To me, it's being together as a family, and keeping a reverent feeling.  This afternoon, the kids worked on projects, cooked with their dad and I, listened to stories . . . almost like the time we spent together over Christmas break:  Enjoying each other's company, and really being together.  I LOVE those moments, when I just want to pause, and remember.  

 You might remember me mentioning a friend who just happens to be a great artist we enjoy following.  When I saw this painting in person the first time, I had tears in my eyes which I was not expecting.  She let me know that this painting belonged in my home, but it seemed a little large to be taking on a plane back to our home . . . I followed the painting online, and noticed a couple months ago that it had been sold.  At least, I thought, I could go back and look at the picture on her website and remember how lovely it was . . . then Jeff put a rather large package under the tree several weeks before Christmas, and asked if I knew what it was.  I tried to put it out of my mind, quite frankly, because I was determined not to open it until Christmas morning, so why torture myself with the details?  But, a little bit before that day, I had a thought that maybe, just maybe, they might have been working together?  As soon as I pulled back the wrapping paper, and saw the penciled, "Gold" let's just say the tears decided to make a come-back.  Very sweet moment, and I love seeing the light change in the painting with the light of the day, and that it is in our home.  Nicely done you two! :)

 The Sunday following Christmas, we had a decent amount of snow, and all meetings and other responsibilities were cancelled.  So, we enjoyed more time together, playing in the snow, building a pretty large snowman (which Herman decided to own later in the day), making and eating lefse, and the time just as a family. 

I'm thinking I might just have to schedule some more non-scheduled time.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Beautiful painting! It's so you. Atta boy Jeff! And will you guys teach us how to make lefse next time we're together?