Monday, November 08, 2010

Stubborn tears and music

I thought of my Mom and Dad a lot on Sunday.  I was sitting at my piano, playing primary songs, and Lily was singing along with me at the top of her sweet lungs. . . it took me back to Sunday afternoon's in my parents' home, huddled around the piano while my mom played the songs, and we tried to see the words and add harmony here and there.  I have to admit, my voice faltered a bit, and I let Lil sing on her own, and hoped she didn't notice the moisture on my cheeks, as I felt we were having our own little moment, she and I.

While living in Denver, my parents had come for a visit with a few of my siblings, and again, my Mom was at the piano while those of us present were singing together. I remember looking over and seeing my Dad with water on his cheek.  Being the oh-so-sensitive daughter I am, ahem, I point blank asked him, "hey, what's wrong Dad?" and he very cordially said he was just enjoying the music, and the moment.

During the Sunday block meetings, I found myself a bit at a loss for words, but abundant in tears.  Lil asked several times why I was crying, and honestly, I don't know if I can put a finger on it, but I do remember being agitated that she wanted to know.  Silly me, she was just being a concerned daughter.  Maybe I should take a page from my Dad's book, and respond more sweetly, or just embrace those darned tears that drive me crazy sometimes, and say, "oh, they're just for fun ;)"


3 comments:

Valine Davis said...

It is sweet isn't it! I love how a lot things in our lives come full circle so that we can enjoy those moments our parents enjoyed. Thanks for your beautiful moment.

Jenny Bay said...

:) LOVE your piano!!!

Lindsay said...

Oh, Kathleen - at least you're a happy crier! Every time I'd see you with 'wet-cheeks', you'd be laughing about it. :)

Glad to know we all have those days.