Last October, I attended a meeting at the school where Odyssey of the Mind was brought up as an opportunity the school would stand behind and help get going, if there were parents who were willing to head it up. I thought, hey, I think my kids would really enjoy this process, so I started trying to get it going. When we started off, it was only once a week at the school, but as the competition got closer and closer, I must admit, I felt like I bit off a LOT more than I could chew: twice a week practices at the school, Saturday practices at my house, trying to facilitate the entire process while learning how to do it at the same time myself. Perhaps I'm getting a little ahead of myself?
What is Odyssey of the Mind you ask? It is basically a tournament of the mind put together for students from Kindergarten through College, in divisions according to age. There are five long term problems the students choose from, and have as much as seven months (didn't know this when I started) to figure out a solution. Did I mention that the children are required to come up with the solution, costumes, and sets on their own, without "outside assistance"? Gets a little tricky to help them come up with a solution, without helping them come up with a solution if you see what I mean. The students are also judged in five categories of Style and then compete in Spontaneous, an opportunity to use quick thinking skills in hopes of having creative or humorous responses that yield higher point value. Are you confused yet? Well, if you'd really like more information, look here: http://www.odysseyofthemind.com/
The kiddos chose to do "Food Court" where they were required to be food items. I won't explain the whole solution. Needless to say, I thought they did a great job, even though they might not have placed very well. Their favorite part was a song they composed to the music of Queen, retitled, "We Live in a Trash Can" complete with stomps, claps, and B boxing. I had a great co-coach in Ann, and great parents who were always prompt in picking up their children, and figuring out the process with me. I know Benjamin wants to do it again, and in hind-sight I think it was a very valuable experience. Jeff got in on the action as well, being a head judge over the weight-bearing problem. Right now, I'm going to enjoy my free afternoons on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and more open Saturdays. We'll see how things go next year, would be a shame to not use the info we've learned again, but I can't think about it just yet. Maybe tomorrow ;)
3 comments:
I'm so glad the kids are involved in OM - we had a great time growing up doing it. And it looks like they did some really great costumes! Go Benjamin!
I have a friend who has done this at either a Jr high or HS near Charlotte. It is a huge intense experience, but her kids this year qualified to go to the national competition, I think. Every year she says she's so glad it's over, and then every year she can't resist doing it again!
They look so cute- enjoy your free time!
Post a Comment