Sunday, December 16, 2007

And you thought it was expensive to park down town....

As many of you have noticed, on the left hand side of the page are links to various news articles that I find interesting regarding topics that I like. On of those was of particular interest, that of exorbitant parking tickets in Norway, the following article (written by the AP and found here http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hA0sHY0Q9UE8AjEY0JBPhcOtmcbQD8TH9RLO0 ) reads as follows:

Norway Parking Sticker Shock: $148,000
2 days ago

OSLO, Norway (AP) — When it comes to wiping out a bank account, forget holiday shopping. Just parking their cars cost some Norwegians between $37,000 and $148,000.

At least 26 motorists were left baffled and broke when they used their bank debit cards to pay for street parking in municipal spots in the central Norwegian city of Trondheim last week.

Because of a computer glitch, the machine dispensing windshield parking permits multiplied the amount of time they bought by 10,000, and automatically deducted it from their bank accounts, the city-owned parking company said Friday.

Motorists who parked were charged between $37,000 and $148,000, parking official Steinar Myhr said on state radio network NRK.

For many, the withdrawal of the vast sums on Wednesday left their bank accounts spectacularly overdrawn, and their debit cards frozen in the middle of an already hectic Christmas shopping.

"This is a very stressful situation in the middle of the Christmas rush," one of the unlucky motorists, Marthe Stork, was quoted as saying by the newspaper Adresseavisen.

She said she tried to buy some groceries Thursday, but her bank card was rejected because the account was overdrawn.

"I can understand that it caused problems," Myhr said. "I'm sure some saw the humor in it."

He said banks were racing to correct the erroneous transaction, and the parking company said it wanted to compensate the motorists.

2 comments:

Jason, Tiffany, and the Crew said...

YIKES! Those are quite the hefty parking tickets! They make Scott's $1000 speeding ticket not seem quite so bad :) Thanks for posting the new pictures, I need to do the same on our blog! Anyhow, I love seeing how you guys live and watching the kids grow via internet...yes is guess you could say "I love technology" (Napolean Dynamite :) Oh, by the way thanks for calling the other night, sorry we missed you! Hope we can talk again soon! love you guys! Tiffany

Melinda Jones said...

That would definitely put a damper on our Christmas vacation! I don't think I would have been the one to "find the humor" in this little mistake. Thanks for keeping us informed about the "Father Land." Love you guys.