Yogurt.
I kind of like it.
Like I pretty much eat yogurt every day.
Mostly because I make it myself.
Just in case you have asked for my recipe, or haven't but thought maybe you'd like to, I thought I would post it here so you can see pictures even.
Enjoy!
I start by pouring 9 cups of my favorite milk of the moment, or the kind that is most plentiful in the fridge into one pan that sits in a larger pan of water. (double boiler)
*this begins to warm on MEDIUM heat.
then I add 1/2 cup powdered milk . . .
whisk gently . . .
and let sit on the burner until the water starts to boil. When it reaches bubble-e-boil stage, I turn off the burner, remove the milk from the water bath and set it on the stove off heat. I generally pour out the water in the sink, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the yogurt making process, just my method . . .
Then, I usually just let the milk sit in the pan on the stove . . .
until I can put my finger in it and feel it is only a bit warm. (Technically below 110, but really, just warm to your finger) You can also put it in the sink and fill the sink to just below the rim with cold water if you are in a hurry. This will speed up the cooling time.
Once the milk has cooled to just warm, it's time to add a good yogurt culture. This means you need to look at the ingredients to see if there are live active cultures, and not a whole lot of extra ingredients. The fewer the ingredients, the better. I like the Smith's organic plain yogurt with a decent amount of fat in it for yummy flavor. It's only a half a cup that you're adding, so really, go for flavor!
Make sure the yogurt is well combined with the milk.
Then it's time to pour the mixture into your prepared bottles. As you can see from my assortment, I like to save bottles that have been used for something else previously, and use them over and over for yogurt, but if you'd like to get matching bottles, or even invest in a yogurt maker, please feel free! :)
I make sure the lids are on, and put them in my crock pot. I fill the crock pot with warm water half way up the bottles.
Enter: the waiting time. Make sure your crock is not too warm. You don't want to go over 118 degrees or you'll kill your culture and have warm milk when you're done. If you can set the temp on yours, I would set it to 115, but if yours is like mine, I keep it at warm, no higher. You can use a thermometer to check and make sure it's not getting to hot, or you can use the hand method: touch the crock pot with your hand, and if it's too hot to touch for five seconds or so comfortably, it's too hot!
After the yogurt has been sitting comfortably for 6-12 hours or so (Totally according to your preference. Generally, the longer it sits in the crock, the thicker it gets, generally), you need to remove the bottles from the crock, wipe them down (you know, so your fridge doesn't get soggy water spots), and . . .
put them in the fridge for 6-8 hours to cure and get lovely.
So, I generally start the process in the morning, spend maybe 10 minutes actually doing anything, have the yogurt in the crock by noon, and in the fridge at bedtime, so it's ready the following morning.
But, that's just me . . .
Hope this was helpful and that you have fun experimenting with yogurt!
No comments:
Post a Comment