Friday, August 29, 2014

Summer time . . .

Last summer, I know my kiddos didn't feel like they really had a summer:  it was prepare to move, move, get the house situated, prepare for school, and go to school.  This year, I think they had a more enjoyable time, starting with a Road Trip to my parent's house.

 Oh, the road trip . . . 
I had forgotten how much I love these wide open skies.  Early June reminded me when I took the kiddos up to visit with my parents while Jeffery was out of town.  Luckily, I had my brother Jared with me to visit with, and give a small glimpse of what traveling with four children (one about two years old) is really like ;)  
 I love seeing my kids with my parents, and how much they love being around them, even if it's while working . . . 
or picking cherries.  Just more fun with Nanna and Grandy.


 Getting a chance to spend time on the horses was something my girlies really look forward to every time we visit. 

 Nanna sent us home with a full box of cherries to do with what we liked.  I was delighted to discover that my kiddos enjoyed helping take out the pits! (Only after I'd done it for a while and had cherry stained fingers that lasted at least a week, but the dried and frozen cherries were totally worth it!)

***

 Growing up, I always knew there was work to be done before we could do other things.  Spring and early summer were spent getting in our sizeable garden and working on winning the battle against the weeds.  Through June, I would work on the garden, Benjamin and Lily worked on clearing the crab grass and weeds from the back half where gravel covers the ground.  This worked all right, but was a lot for all of us to tackle.  
By the end of June, the wild grasses were more in control, the garden producing, and the kids and I started working together on the same area at the same time.  HUGE difference!  Funny how we could do so much more working together on the same project.

 There have been many a bag of green beans that have filled the freezer . . . along with shredded zucchini and peas. 



I even made many jars of pickles.  (Fifty feet of cucumbers will inspire that to happen)

We have enjoyed having the space to plant the garden and enjoy the harvest for ourselves, and to share with others. 

I also love that by the end of the summer, the kids were asking where we were going to be working outside every morning :)
***


Don't worry, we did spend a decent amount of time at the pool, too.

***

One Evening, we decided to drive the Alpine loop that winds behind Sundance and comes out East of Lehi.  As we were driving the windy roads, the kids started to complain that they were feeling sick to their stomachs.  "Can't we go home?"  "I want to get out" "Make it stop"  You get the idea.  Jeff and I were just enjoying the beautiful back country.  We stopped at the top of the climb before starting on the down side, and took in the gorgeousness.  Somewhere after this point, Benjamin asked, "Did we drive over Utah Lake?"  *ahem, he he he (good sign we haven't lived here long enough for all of the geography to sink in yet) 

Just before we pulled out of the canyon, Jeff said, "Time to go back home, better turn around."  And then weeping and wailing ensued.  "Noooooooo!!!!"  They didn't understand why we were laughing so hard.  He was totally joking, but they didn't realize it.  I'm thinking the next time we do this loop, it will just be Jeff and I on the ride to enjoy the scenery, though it sure was fun to tease them!

***
  
This man-child of ours has taken scouts to the next level this summer.  
Two week long scout camps
Camp outs with his troop
Pack in trip that his dad joined him for, and I was very glad they made it home safely from. . . 
Let's just say, I think he is really enjoying it now, and the leaders definitely help make that possible.

***

4th of July
I made that bigger and in bold, because it's really a big deal here.  There were things we could have done all week had we been so inclined.  We did enjoy:

 *Going to see the balloons early one morning.
*Hiking to a waterfall not far from home . . . 

 *Cheering on the parade. (Benjamin was part of it, and was more than tickled to be right behind Studio C the entire route.)

*Lots of cheers and calls for Jeff's pants.  I wonder why . . . 
 *Enjoying NC style pulled pork with this bunch of Tessem's (I think this was the third time we made a variation of this meal this summer :)

*And more fireworks in our neighborhood and surrounding area than I' think I've ever seen in one small window of time.  Definitely good times.

***


We also enjoyed a lovely day on the lake with our foreign exchange student we all came to love in such a very short time period.  Thanks again Robert for taking us!


***

I know this was long, and there was more I could have included:  all the wonderful people we have been able to spend time with this summer, new friends and old, but lets just say that it was a good summer full of great friends and family, food and fun!  Hope yours was great too!




No comments: