Friday, February 24, 2012

Together.

The end of this week has brought beautiful spring weather and the feeling that outside is completely the place to be, if at all possible.  We've been wanting to take the whole family camping, (okay, let's be honest, I was looking forward to the outside cooking and hiking, but not so much the sleeping on the ground right now . . . but anyway) and it looked like today would be a great day for it.  When food shopping this week, I picked up the standard camping fair:  hotdogs, chips, chocolate to go with smores, all in preparation for the fun.  And it seemed like it would be just about right, up until there started to be thunderstorm warnings and tornado watches.

Luckily, we had a back-up plan.  I took the kids to the library, and then we picked up Jeffery and went to the dollar theater for some good wholesome family fun with The Muppets.  There were plenty of cheesy lines, and nostalgic moments, but I think my favorite was hearing Benjamin's un-restrained laughter, and seeing the kids be completely enthralled in the production.  Oh, and the fact that the popcorn had free refills, and so we emptied and refilled it twice!

As we were leaving the theater, the downpour was pretty intense, so I'm thinking we made the right choice NOT to go camping this weekend.  We made the same dinner, and used the stove to roast the marshmallows, and the grill to cook the hot dogs, and then the kids "set up camp" on the floor in sleeping bags in one of the rooms.  So, while it might not have been as cool as sleeping out under the stars, I have a feeling there might be more sleep had this evening, and who knows, maybe we'll go on a hike tomorrow . . . or maybe a different day, but it was nice to have a fun family outing none the less.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Bless your little heart- I would be complaining about going camping in any circumstances, let alone pregnant! I loved your comment about Benjamin's laughter- those innocent moments seem to be getting fewer and fewer and I treasure them now when they happen.

P.S.- I hear the camping is SUPER nice in CA:).

Lindsay said...

That downpour WAS something, wasn't it!? Carson was terrified that a tornado was going to come rip our home off the ground and kept saying, "I wish we had a ditch to hide in, 'cause if you're hiding in a ditch, the tornado could just jump right over the top of you." I felt quite a bit safer in our home than I would have in a ditch. Or camping. :)

Unknown said...

That post just makes me so happy. I want to be a kid in your family!